My parents are at my Grandma's home in Columbus, Nebraska. My Grandma's health has been failing since she was diagnosed with Shingles in February. My Grandma is 95 years old. She is a very strong woman. She is a daughter of a farmer and wife of a farmer. She has lived in town (Columbus, Nebraska) since 1981 (I believe). Prior to the move to town, my grandparents had a farm. It was the most amazing farm. The childhood memories swim in my head. There are so many wonderful times. I was fortunate to be the 2nd grandchild and the eldest granddaughter. My younger cousins did not get experience farm life and our grandparents at a younger age.
Every summer my sister and I would spend 2 weeks on the farm with my grandparents and my aunts (Kathy and Rita). My Dad has 4 younger sisters. Edna, Carolyn, Kathy and Rita. Kathy and Rita are 7 and 8 years older than me. I had many wonderful times with Rita especially. We would share a bed when I slept over. I never played with dolls unless it was with my Aunt Rita. We would wake up early and my Aunt Rita had a box of dolls under the bed upstairs. We would take them out and play dolls. She had paper dolls as well. It was so much fun.
What are paper dolls? The dolls were not as thick as cardboard but not as thin as regular paper. You would cut out the paper doll. The clothes would be cut out with the tabs to fold over the paper doll. This is how the paper doll was dressed. It was a 2D world. We had to use our imagination. It was so much fun. I bought Erika (my daughter) paper dolls when she was young.

I remember the original "Pick Up Sticks" game. In a cardboard tube with a metal lid there were thin wooden sticks with sharp points on either ends. The purpose of the game was to pick up more sticks without moving the other sticks then your opponent. Today this would be considered a dangerous toy, but in the 1960s and 1970s it was fun.

The pile below was the game. You had to pick up the sticks without moving any other sticks. It was a simple game.

Aunt Rita and I would play cards and laugh all the time. I have the best memories.
Aunt Kathy and Aunt Rita would bring me fishing at the pond in the pasture on the farm. I remember trying to catch a shark in a fresh water pond in the middle of Nebraska. There were catfish in the pond. The cattle would drink from the pond. We would sit by the pond and fish. I had so much fun.
Thank you for wonderful memories Aunt Rita!
Every summer my sister and I would spend 2 weeks on the farm with my grandparents and my aunts (Kathy and Rita). My Dad has 4 younger sisters. Edna, Carolyn, Kathy and Rita. Kathy and Rita are 7 and 8 years older than me. I had many wonderful times with Rita especially. We would share a bed when I slept over. I never played with dolls unless it was with my Aunt Rita. We would wake up early and my Aunt Rita had a box of dolls under the bed upstairs. We would take them out and play dolls. She had paper dolls as well. It was so much fun.
What are paper dolls? The dolls were not as thick as cardboard but not as thin as regular paper. You would cut out the paper doll. The clothes would be cut out with the tabs to fold over the paper doll. This is how the paper doll was dressed. It was a 2D world. We had to use our imagination. It was so much fun. I bought Erika (my daughter) paper dolls when she was young.
I remember the original "Pick Up Sticks" game. In a cardboard tube with a metal lid there were thin wooden sticks with sharp points on either ends. The purpose of the game was to pick up more sticks without moving the other sticks then your opponent. Today this would be considered a dangerous toy, but in the 1960s and 1970s it was fun.
The pile below was the game. You had to pick up the sticks without moving any other sticks. It was a simple game.
Aunt Rita and I would play cards and laugh all the time. I have the best memories.
Aunt Kathy and Aunt Rita would bring me fishing at the pond in the pasture on the farm. I remember trying to catch a shark in a fresh water pond in the middle of Nebraska. There were catfish in the pond. The cattle would drink from the pond. We would sit by the pond and fish. I had so much fun.
Thank you for wonderful memories Aunt Rita!
No comments:
Post a Comment