Monday, April 7, 2014

Krupa Family Gatherings and roller coasters

  It was a nice Spring day in Westborough, Massachusetts.  Tonight there is rain coming into the area.  This is fine as long as it stops.

I have been thinking about my very first roller coaster ride.  The Krupa Family Picnic at Peony Park in Omaha, Nebraska was an annual picnic.  My mom is the youngest of 9 children.  All of the sisters, brothers, wives, husbands and children would come together for the day.  Coming together to be spend a day with all my mom's relatives always brings a smile.

There was an amusement park at the picnic grounds.  My brother, Tim, and cousins - Kathy Krupa, Cheryl and Lynn Barber and Lori Mitera and others would get money from our parents and favorite aunts and uncles and buy tickets for the rides.  I remember the tickets cost twenty-five cents for each one.  The rides were so many tickets.  We would run around to search for tickets all over the grounds.  We had so much fun.  We would go back to our families to get food or money for more tickets. Tim and I would have a great time with Kathy.  We would run all over the place.  In the 1970s parents did not worry about their children being kidnapped.  We had great adventures together.

One of the picnics, my Uncle Ray Krupa, Kathy Krupa (his daughter), my brother, Tim, and I had the most exciting adventure.  Tim and I had not been on a roller coaster.  My parents would not even think about going on one.  Tim, Kathy and I were walking around looking for tickets.  We wanted to go on the new roller coaster but each rider needed 4 tickets.  One dollar was a lot of money.  We saved our allowances to buy extra tickets.  My Uncle Ray was in the amusement park and asked if we wanted to go on the roller coaster.  I remember the excitement of an adult ride and being 8 years old.    I still remember the thrill of the clinking of the chains pulling our cart up the steep hill to propel our cart down the first hill at a high rate of speed.  The clink clink clink...The heart pounding wondering what will happen at the top.  Looking out to see Omaha from a different view.  Then ... swoosh!  Down we go at a high rate of speed for the times.  The cart clanking and we began going up the next hill and making the turns of the roller coaster.  There were no seat belts but there was a bar to hold us in.  We kept moving.  Before we knew it the ride was done!  Oh my goodness.  What a wonderful time.  The minute or 2 it took was the best.  My first roller coaster ride.



Peony Park does exist any longer.  The memories of the Krupa Family gatherings will always be with me.  The great times I had with my cousins.  The freedom children had at that time.  Today this would not be allowed to have 7, 8, and 9 year old children running around with no supervision.


No comments:

Post a Comment