Wednesday, April 2, 2014

My Uncle Ed and Aunt Doris

As I was leaving Adoration and Benediction at St. Luke's Church yesterday, I began thinking about my Uncle Ed and Aunt Doris.  My Uncle Ed passed in 1994, but my Aunt Doris (his wife) is living in Omaha, Nebraska.  I have wonderful memories of them.

My mom is the youngest of 9 children.  Uncle Ed was the eldest son.  He gave my mother away at her wedding since her father was deceased.  My Uncle Ed was the Godfather to my older brother, Tim.

Uncle Ed was a wonderful man.  He always had a smile on his face.  Really - his face was always smiling.  It is the Polish blood.  He was a veteran of World War II stationed in Italy.  I began thinking about my Uncle Ed because on March 26, 2013 we had to put our dog, Dolly, down after 16 wonderful years with us.  My Uncle Ed was a man who took all stray animals into his home.  He loved all animals.

My Uncle Ed and Aunt Doris lived in an old house built in the early 1900's in South Omaha, Nebraska.  Interstate 480 became their view, but before the interstate there were houses and store fronts.  The house was a long (very long) white house.  We parked on the street and climbed the 10 to 20 steps up to the front porch. It was so much fun for all the nieces and nephews (my cousins), because there was a metal bar to grasp walking up and down the steps.  We (the cousins) would start at the top and grab on the metal bar and slide down to the bottom and hit the sidewalk.  It was so much fun.

Once we walked into My Uncle Ed's home we were met by at least one dog if not more.  My Uncle Ed loved all animals and would rescue animals from homeowners and shelters.  There were 2 black Labradors (Lulu and I can't remember the other one).  They were terrified of everyone.  They would run to the back bedroom closet and hide.  Arnold was a St. Bernard.  He was skin and bones when Uncle Ed rescued him from the neighbors. Arnold was an amazing large dog.  The fur was everywhere.  He loved everyone.  I would sit on the couch and Arnold would lay down on my feet.  I could not move.  He would come up and lick me.  I remember getting a glass for water and Arnold's fur was in it.  Ugh!  But I loved him.  There was 2 more dogs.  Yes a total of 4 to 5 dogs and at least 2 to 3 cats.  This was normal.  New dogs and cats would come and go from the house.  Arnold was given to a family who had a lot of land for him.  It was not fair to him to be so confined.

Uncle Ed was a veteran of World War II in Italy.  He told me stories about the stray dogs.  Every night the soldiers were instructed to shot and kill the dogs.  The reason was the enemy would know where the US soldiers were if not done.  My Uncle Ed could not kill the dogs.  He would pay other soldiers with cigarettes and Hershey chocolate bars.  He told me he would have tears in his eyes when he heard the shots.

My Uncle Ed was a wonderful man.  I died in 1994 of leukemia.  Erika met him before he passed away.

My Aunt Doris is a wonderful woman.  She was always laughing and loud.  I take after the loud part.  She was always giving anything in their home.  I remember I found an elephant plant stand.  I told her that it was beautiful.  She told me to take it home.  I was reluctant, but I did.  My brothers and sister would comment on something in their home and she would give it to them.  She knew we would take care of the items.

I have taken this to heart.  My coworkers will come to my desk and comment on items on my desk.  There are very few items I would not give away.  (A few elephants which have great meaning.)  If the item would give someone else pleasure, I want to give it to the person.

My Uncle Ed and Aunt Doris will always have a wonderful place in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment